Friday, October 2, 2009

Reaching out to Jacksonville

I have been feeling a bit run down lately. Many people here have colds, but I won't go down without a fight. One thing that I enjoy about being run down is that my regular operating speed is knocked down a notch, allowing me to be a better observer and listener. I am too tired to move my jaw at its regular frequency.

While at work last night, I went outside to the latrine. For some strange reason, in my state of being slow and needing to go to the bathroom, there was someone standing in my way starting a conversation with me about the fact that I am a Navy person wearing ACUs, and how he had worn them on a previous tour, blah, blah, blah. I considered excusing myself to go to the bathroom. He now wore a flight suit, he explained that he is on a rotation out of Jacksonville... "Did you say Jacksonville?" I asked. Well, then that's very interesting...

I have been considering visiting Jacksonville during my R&R for a couple of reasons. Jacksonville is a big Navy town. In my application for a recall to active duty I listed JAX as one of my places of interest to be stationed. I really didn't want to go up there without having someone to meet... without some intent. Jacksonville can also be a destination for some ADSW orders as a reservist. From an online perspective I was not seeing a lot of civilian jobs offered in JAX, compared to Tampa. Tampa abounds with opportunity. Well, the pilot who was preventing me from going to the bathroom, walked me right over to his work area and made some introductions. I was referred to someone's boss to meet when I travel to JAX.

No comments:

Post a Comment