Thursday, April 16, 2009

Super Hooah!

The last few days here at Fort Jackson have been very full. Yesterday I qualified on the M16 rifle. This simply means that I shot a bunch of pop up targets reasonably well. I have been fortunate that my firing line has been going first for the last few days.

Today was very enjoyable. Alpha Company had a very early start so that we could fire the M9 on the range in low light conditions. This was followed by a M16 flex fire exercise, then a stress fire. The flex fire exercise is done with the M16, at a relatively close range. Most of the firing positions approached the target starting from a side position or with your back facing the target. The stress fire is a combat stress M16 firing exercise that included running up to different targets.

After that, we fired the M249 (AKA "Saw"), the M240B and a Browning M2 50 caliber.

Later that day some of us went to the the HEAT trainer. This is a humvee rollover simulator. I have rolled over (in slow motion) in the simulator twice. The point of this exercise is the understand how to escape from the vehicle. It was briefly physically demanding at times. I noted that some of the dirt from the vehicle floor ended up in my mouth during the rollover.

No comments:

Post a Comment