Thursday, November 26, 2009

Let us give thanks

Another stunning day. After a walk this morning I waited in line for entry into the north DFAC. As I was waiting in line, two ranks filed on to the gravel parking lot, formed up. Someone yelled "Kentucky ADT!" Sure enough, elements of my old Kentucky home were on the ready. It wasn't until I entered the serving line did I realize that they were volunteering as servers (augmenting the KBR folks). Good on you, Kentucky.

The KBR staff was dressed in pilgrim and Indian attire. The dining hall was filled with a lot of spirit and excellent decorations. Life size pilgrims, Indians, and turkeys. Egyptian officers were posing next to these statues for photo ops. While at the salad bar, Rick, a shipmate of mine, asked me to join him and another sailor at their table. It was great to catch up with them. Both of them are ready to turn in, but stayed up for the Thanksgiving pageantry.

This is the lunch meal- my breakfast. I am more accustomed to the intimacy of the BBQ DFAC tent, which was closed today. Now I understand why. A lot of manpower goes into this Thanksgiving production.

1 comment: